Although I am by no means a food connoisseur, I’d definitely consider myself to be a bit of a glutton. Here are some of my favourite places to grab a bite in London (and the rest of the UK):
- The best ice cream/gelato I’ve ever had in London. I have to get some whenever I’m around the Leicester Square area. I especially recommend the pistachio flavour!
- My favourite burger place in London! I’ve been here many times now but have yet to write about it because it’s a super messy experience, plus I’m enjoying the food too much to take pictures :P! Come here for adventurous-tasting burgers and the best wings ever. You must get the wings. I also recommend the Ari Gold burger. The chips are okay, but I definitely prefer Honest Burger‘s rosemary chips! I also like Bleeker Street Burger if you’re looking for something to eat on the go.
- Cheap and huge portions of authentic Japanese food in Central London- what’s not to like? Gets crowded quickly so be prepared to line up, but the turnover rate is quite speedy.
- Delicious crepes available in both savoury and sweet flavours but be prepared to queue. Situated in the very beautiful Hampstead Heath. I also really like Crêperie Nicolas which you can find at the Real Food Festival in Southbank.
- Quality steak at a good price, and delicious sides too. My personal favourite is the creamed spinach. If you’re looking for more expensive cuts, I highly recommend Goodman for their tender, flavourful steaks and crispy on the outside/fluffy on the inside chips!
- Deliciously decadent cookies with melty/gooey fillings of chocolate, peanut butter, ginger and much more. My personal favourite is the milk chocolate cookie.
- Authentic Japanese food with good prices- try the crunchy tuna roll (or any sushi roll for that matter), miso grilled eggplant and tempura don. I’ve been here so many times that I’ve lost count, but have had a great meal every time.
- For incredibly cheap and tasty pizza- try out the four cheese pizza and breakfast pizza! Another favourite includes Homeslice for their huge pizzas bursting with unique flavours.
9. Indian YMCA
- For extremely wallet-friendly Indian food. Kind of buffet style- pick what you want and pay for it at the counter.
10. Honey & Co
- Yummy Middle Eastern food- try out the cold cheesecake and lamb “Royal Mansaf”. Update (Jan 2015): Honey & Co now do lunch sets with mezze platters- a bit more expensive but still worth a try!
- Drool-inducing hog roast and crackling served in a roll. Cheap and tasty! I came here twice during a three day trip to Edinburgh, which I think says a lot 🙂
12. Burger Brothers (Brighton)
- Delicious, made-to-order burgers in a tiny store in Brighton. Really friendly service!
13. Blackbird Tea Room (Brighton)
- Light, fluffy and crumbly scones (probably the best I’ve ever had) and tea in a lovely vintage setting. Be prepared to wait for a seat.
- A delicious food stall that sells the most amazing duck confit burgers- probably my favourite food stall in London thus far!
Seoul Bakery CLOSED
- Dirt-cheap Korean food in a dingy little shop in Tottenham Court Road. Come early as the restaurant only has around 12 seats!
16. Pâtisserie Deux Amis
- My favourite place for a quick takeout lunch. Try out their chicken, bacon and cranberry baguette- it is delicious- as well as their carrot cake, pain au chocolats and croissants. If you have more time, sit in the cafe itself and have a pastry or two-the decor is incredibly cosy and charming.
- Cheap and cheerful bagels in Shoreditch- the queues are long but it’s seriously worth it. I’d recommend getting the salt beef bagel, but they have lots of other flavours too, including Nutella.
- Located in Borough Market- they serve the best doughnuts I have ever had, though my favourite flavour has got to be the plain old classic vanilla custard ones. In my opinion these are better than the ones at St John’s- maybe I went on an off day?
- A great way to sample some yummy food at a relatively low cost – these are scattered all over London but I think my favourites have to be Borough (because of the Bread Ahead doughnuts), KERB, Broadway (try out Butchie’s buttermilk chicken burger- it is sinfully amazing)- oh and Columbia Road for the flowers 🙂
- I’ve been here quite a few times now (only the King’s Cross location though, which is stunning)- try out the bacon and egg naan roll (their signature is actually the bacon naan but let’s face it- everything tastes better with a runny fried egg) as well as the delicious chocolate chai. I’d also go for the black house daal if you’re a fan of tomato, as well as the pistachio kulfi, which has a really unique sticky texture.
- The most delicious brunch I have had in London to date. I highly recommend their pancakes!